These vegan crab cakes are 100% AMAZING!
And that creamy remoulade sauce??
Mmmm. So good.
They seriously taste like the crab cakes I remember from childhood trips to the Oregon Coast.
Make these for sure!!! You'll love 'em.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel here!
- VEGAN CRAB CAKES -
Recipe inspired by Kris Carr
Remoulade Sauce Ingredients:
1 c. vegan mayo
1 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. vegan worcestershire
juice from half a lemon
1 tbsp. capers
1/4 c. parsley, not chopped
1/4 c. red bell pepper, roughly chopped
2 tsp. minced shallot (or 1 tsp. onion powder)
salt and pepper, to taste
Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Crab Cake Ingredients:
1 sheet of nori, toasted (or 2 tbsp. toasted nori flakes)
2, 14-oz cans hearts of palm (whole, not diced)
1/4 c. finely diced red onion
1/4 c. finely diced red bell pepper
2 tsp. old bay seasoning
3 tbsp. vegan mayo
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast (aka nooch)
2 tsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 c. Panko bread crumbs (use GF if needed)
1. Toast nori sheet over electric burner and grind (if not using toasted nori flakes).
2. Drain the hearts of palm and press in a towel to dry.
3. Pulse the hearts of palm in a food processor gently, until it looks like crab meat.
4. Sauté the red onion and bell pepper in a little bit of vegetable broth or water until soft.
5. In a large bowl, combine hearts of palm, onion, bell pepper, mayo, 1 tsp. old bay seasoning, nori flakes, nutritional yeast, cornstarch or arrowroot powder, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins.
6. Portion the chilled mix into small crab cakes.
7. Combine breadcrumbs with 1 tbsp. old bay seasoning. Coat the crab cakes with the breadcrumb mixture. Form and let sit in fridge for 1 hour.
8. On medium-high heat, sauté the crab cakes for 2-3 mins on each side in a couple tablespoons of oil. (see note for oil-free version)
9. Remove from pan and place on parchment paper.
10. Place finished crab cakes in a warm oven (~200F) until the rest are finished. Serve with the remoulade sauce, some fresh lemon and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Enjoy the shit outta these!
NOTE: If you want to make this recipe completely oil-free, then you can try baking the crab cakes in a 400F oven for around 15 minutes. FYI: I haven't tried baking these yet, so if you do, let me know how they turn out!