When I first heard about oil pulling I thought it was a joke.
Swishing oil in your mouth could be good for you?
There's no way.
But then I decided to do a little research of my own.
...WOW. THE BENEFITS I READ ABOUT SOUNDED AMAZING, AND I KNEW I HAD TO TRY IT.
WHAT IS OIL PULLING?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic tradition dating back thousands of years.
FYI: Ayurveda is a traditional alternative medicine from India.
WHY SHOULD I OIL PULL?
Oil pulling is beneficial in SO many ways. Really, it's insanely incredible to realize how much good it actually does.
HERE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE SEEMINGLY ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES:
1. Whiter teeth & healthy, pink gums
2. Teeth become less sensitive
3. Pulls bacteria, parasites, and toxins from the body
4. Clears up your skin
5. Helps with headaches (perfect for those icky hangovers)
6. Corrects hormone imbalances
7. Helps reduce insomnia
8. Helps alleviate digestive problems
9. Helps ease joint pain and arthritis
10. Clears sinuses and reduces symptoms of allergies
...and so many more.
HOW DO I OIL PULL?
First, choose an oil. I prefer sesame or coconut. But most organic cold-pressed oils will do!
MANY PEOPLE OIL PULL IN THE MORNING, TO JUMPSTART THEIR DAY, BUT ANY TIME IS A GOOD TIME.
1. Put a tablespoon or so of oil into your mouth
2. Swish, or "pull", the oil through your teeth and over your tongue
3. Continue swishing for 15-20 minutes (work your way up if you're new to this)
4. Don't gargle or swallow (you don't want those icky toxins in your tummy)
5. Spit the milky oil/saliva mixture into a garbage can or the toilet (don't spit it into the sink... it might clog it up!)
6. Rinse your mouth out several times with warm water
7. Drink a glass of lemon water and enjoy your beautiful day
IT MIGHT SEEM A LITTLE WEIRD AT FIRST, BUT TRUST ME, IT'S WORTH IT!
Do you oil pull? I'd love to hear from you! What benefits do you see? What challenges have you faced? Leave a comment and let's chat!
Have questions? Ask away!