Mmmm. I absolutely LOVE this stuff!
It's perfect in burritos, tacos, and vegan 'pulled pork' sandwiches!
I like making a big ol' batch of this at the beginning of the week and keeping it on hand for all sorts of yumminess.
I promise you'll love it too!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel here!
- Chili-Lime BBQ Jackfruit -
- two 20 oz. cans of jackfruit (in water or brine)
- 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 1 white onion
- 3 - 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp. chili-lime seasoning (chili powder works too)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 - 3/4 c. your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. Drain and rinse your jackfruit.
2. Smash each piece and pull it apart with your fingers until all of the jackfruit is nicely shredded. Some bigger pieces are totally okay - they'll break down as you cook the jackfruit.
3. Heat a large pot on medium heat.
4. Slice your white onion into half moons (aka semi-circles).
5. Once your pot has heated, add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth as well as the sliced onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until onions are soft and slightly golden.
6. While the onions are cooking mince up your garlic cloves.
7. Add the garlic to the pot, stir well, and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
8. Add in the shredded jackfruit as well as the chili-lime seasoning, cumin, oregano, taco seasoning, salt, liquid smoke, and lime juice and mix well.
9. Let this cook for about 5 minutes to let all of the spices get nice and toasted and soaked into the jackfruit.
10. Now it's time to add the BBQ sauce! So add that in, stir everything together, pop a lid on, and let it simmer on med-low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. Add the black pepper and chopped cilantro and mix well.