MAKING YOUR OWN ALMOND MILK SOUNDs INTENSE, BUT OMG IT'S THE BEST!
It's super easy, it's really good for you, and it tastes amazing!
...so much better than the plant milks you buy at the store.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel here!
HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK
1 cup almonds (soaked at least 8 hours)
4 cups water (filtered is best)
1/4 tsp. salt, optional (can soak with almonds)
3-4 pitted Medjool dates
1 tsp. vanilla extract or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean, scraped
Some optional add-ins:
- maple syrup instead of dates
- fresh strawberries
Nut milk bag, double layer of cheesecloth, a tea towel, or an old but clean t-shirt
High speed blender
Glass jar for storing
1. Soak almonds for at least 8 hours, preferably over night. To soak, simply place the raw nuts or seeds in a large mixing bowl and add enough water to cover them 2 to 3 inches. After soaking rinse the nuts/seeds in a colander or sieve and allow them to drain completely before blending. (Soaking nuts makes them easier to digest and improves their flavor.)
2. In a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients on high till totally smooth (around 60 seconds). It'll be all foamy and creamy looking. Make sure to hold the lid on the blender so there aren't any explosions!
3. Strain the mixture in your nut milk bag and squeeze until all of the milk is out of the pulp. You can compost the pulp or dehydrate it, pulse it in the blender, and you'll have almond flour.
4. Transfer the nut milk to an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for about a week.
NOTE: I use this almond milk mostly for smoothies and topping oatmeal. If you want a less sweet version for soups, or other savory dishes then just leave out the dates and the vanilla, or adjust them to taste.
NOTE: Separation is totally normal with homemade plant milks. Make sure to shake it up before serving.
Health benefits of almonds:
- Helps to lower your cholesterol
- High in antioxidants
- Great for your cardiovascular health
- Good source of calcium (higher than any other nut)
- Helps to control blood sugar
- High in Vitamin E
- Good source of protein
- 1/4 cup of almonds contains around 8 grams of protein
Health benefits of Medjool dates:
- High in fiber, vitamins, carbohydrates, and contain more potassium than bananas (3x more!)
- They are virtually fat, cholesterol, and sodium free!
- Natural energy booster
- Full of naturally occurring sugar that your body loves to use!
- Help to regulate blood pressure
- An excellent source of iron!
See, homemade almond milk really is the BEST!
If you try this recipe, let me know in the comments below - and share this recipe with all of your peeps!